DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF REGIONAL SECRETARIAT BUILDING FOR THE NIA IN ENUGU STATE
1.1 Background of study
Architecture is the practice of building design and its resulting products; customary usage refers to those designs that are customarily significant.
Architecture is to building as literature is to the printed word. More prosaically, one would say today that architecture must satisfy its intended uses, must technically be sound and must convey aesthetic meaning. But the best buildings are often so well-constructed that they outlast their original use. They then survive not only as beautiful objects but as documents of the history of cultures, achievements in architecture that testify to the nature of the society that produced them. Architecture form is inevitably influenced by the technologies applied, but building technology is conservative and knowledgeabout itcumulative. These achievements are never wholly the work of individuals. Architecture is a social art.
In Nigeria, The Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA), established in 1960, made up of professional architects, is an institution with the objective of promoting the practice of the profession of Architecture in Nigeria. The NIA has in each state of Nigeria a chapter with the aim and objective of setting recommendable standards of architecture, as well as maintaining those standards.
By April 2005, it had over 4000 members in 32 state chapters. It is a non-governmental organization, but performs some statutory functions on behalf of the Architects Registration Council of Nigeria (ARCON) and cooperates with governmental and non-governmental agencies and institutions.
As in every state in Nigeria, there is a chapter of the Nigerian Institute of Architects in Enugu state, which is called the Enugu state chapter of the Nigerian Institute of Architects. The Enugu state chapter of the NIA monitors the practice of the profession of architecture on a regional basis in Enugu state. It serves as an embassy for all individuals practicing the profession of architecture. Most times, the Enugu state chapter of the NIA in collaboration with the Architects Registration Council of Nigeria conducts examinations and may call to arbitrate in cases of dispute on liability.
1.2 Statement of problem
Due to the fact that the Enugu state chapter of the N.I.A has no standard structure which will efficiently aid the architectural body properly organize the practice of the profession in the state, there is need for a building complex which will fully aid the Enugu state chapter of the professional architectural body (The Nigerian Institute of Architects) carry out its mandated obligations such as the mobilization of informal members for quality services and maintenance of the good standards already set.
The major aim of this project is to produce a design proposal which is a regional secretariat building for the NIA in Enugu state. This in turn will promote the social image of the NIA in the community, which will concurrently give the profession of architecture in the state a prestigious social status.
The objectives are as follows:
- Assessing the nature of architecture in the community.
- Determining the socio-economic implication of the already available architecture in the community.
- Designing a secretariat building which will comfortably be functional and aesthetically appealing.
- To produce a masterpiece as a design for practicing architects within the community.
- To protect the rich cultural heritage of Enugu state and Nigeria as a whole.
- To serve and aid in making the state a tourist center
1.5 Motivations for the project
This project topic has its genesis in my desire to do an intensive, demanding but rewarding topic for the thesis project.
Due to the emergence of Arc. E.C. Chukwuka as the president of the Nigerian Institute of Architects, there has been a lot of reforms in the NIA. This in turn, from the national headquarters has had a couple of chain reactions in the various 36 chapters all around the nation.
Basically, due to the fact that the Enugu state chapter of the NIA has no secretariat building designed and erected specifically for the soul purpose of its own, I found it necessary for the chapter to have a building of its own, for its private purposes, such as it annual general meetings, executive committee meetings, November-lectures, archi-wives meetings, professional practice examinations and other social activities. There is need for a secretariat building for the Enugu state chapter of the NIA, for the setting and maintenance of the standard of architecture in the community. The architecture of a community, defines its level of civilization.
1.6 Scope of project
A regional secretariat building for the NIA is a focal point for the profession of architecture in the state which it is found. It should be a building where architectural activities such as executive committee meetings, annual meetings, November-lectures, archi-wives meetings, dinners, professional practice examinations and other social activities will be held. It would also serve as recreational center, whereby architects or regular individuals could go to and relax their minds. The space analysis which were obtained from a case study of the Royal Institute of British Architects (a professional body of architects in the United Kingdom). The RIBA is the biggest and oldest architectural body formally setup in the world with the best knowledge and experience in the field of architecture. The spaces are as follows, a large library, exhibition galleries, a large architectural bookshop, a café, a restaurant, lecture theatres and various other rooms hired out for events.
1.7 Limitations of the study encountered
- Scarcity of materials on the chosen thesis topic
- Procuring the proposed site from the NIA chairman (Ennugu state chapter).
- Limited financial power to carry out the case study
- The uncooperative attitude of some architects met for one-on-one interview.
- Bad weather conditions on some days, making it difficult to meet up with some appointments.
However, prudent use has been made of the available information obtained during my time of research.
1.8 Importance of the study
The importances to the student architect are as follows:
- To develop the students understanding about architecture world-wide when he/she embarks on research
- To help the researcher to understand the NIA a lot more.
- To develop the reasoning capability of the researcher when he/she is designing.
- It gives the researcher proper insight into practicing of architecture and other social responsibilities.
1.9 Research methodology
The research procedure used for this thesis was mainly the primary source i.e. through individuals that know a lot about NIA. The secondary sources were mainly the internet and books in the libraries
- The use of semi-standardized interview surveys as were adopted, whereby a schedule of questionnaires were presented to respondents. This was used particularly to understand the NIA. Oral interviews were also used to obtain information on an informal basis.
- Literature reviews- this involves mostly using the internet and also consulting in getting other information that will be of relevance to the thesis project. Some books used were published and others unpublished
NOTE: To have an access to Download this material please contact Us On
+234-903-685-7618, Any Time
Or Or Locate us at pam industrial estate Block 4 Makurdi, Benue State
Click here to make a payment Online or get Payment details