THE IMPACT OF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCE AS A CRITICAL FACTOR IN THE BANKING SECTOR
This research work on the impact of training and development of human resource as a critical factor in banking sector a case study of First bank of Nigerian plc main branch Enugu. The main objective of the study is to evaluate the effect of training and development of human resource in bank operation. The population of study which is the employees of First Bank of Nigeria plc main branch and as it stands is a total of 100, while the sample size is 80. During the research process the researcher collected data from two source the primary and the secondary source of data were gotten from questionnaires administered to the employee of First bank plc while secondary data were gotten from textbook, journals, publication and manual. In determining sample size, the researcher used yaro yamene formular. For determining sample size as quoted in Nigeria, n – N/1 + N (e)2 in the act to determine finding the techniques used was descriptive survey and descriptive analysis was based on answer to research quotation that were formulated. On the base of the above finding, the researcher recommended among others that First Bank of Nigeria plc main branch, Okpara Avenue Enugu should implement effectively and progressively any training plans or budget to ensure improvement in banking operation. The management should build good and mutual relationship with workers, so as to create a conducive working environment. In order to encourage workers to put in their best in what they do.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Many years ago, the concept of training and development were misunderstood and not given full consideration in most Nigeria organization. Today the situation has change totally, such that many organization, business and non business organization has come to realize the need for training and development of employee as vital for organization development and operation.
Training and development has started since the existence of man, as the action of man is directed on what to do and when to do it. Just as a little child is trained on various ways of walking, standing and sitting, it is done in order to develop the child with skills to adapt to his environment. The above statement is applicable to an employee, in order to train him so as to be able to adapt to the environment and organization which he finds himself. With this, it is clear that every organization need to train its employee so that there will be improved growth and productivity. According to Abolo, E.M. (2000), Banking business in Nigeria started in 1892 by African Banking Corporation. The bank was taken over by now standard bank, now First Bank in 1894.
The periods of 1959 – 1986 witnessed the era of regulation. The central bank of Nigeria was established in 1969 with the aim to promote and integrate the Nigeria financial system. The central bank of Nigeria encouraged the development of money and capital markets. It also encourages the banking industry. Other useful development within the period that affected human resource development in banks is:
a. The companies Decree (1968). Which made it mandatory for all companies in Nigeria, including banks to register locally and b subjected to Nigeria laws?
b. Indigenization Decree (19720, which introduced the system of deliberate Nigerianization.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Before the establishment of central bank in 1959, training of Nigeria bankers was not taken serious by most banks. Especially the foreign oned banks. In every organization or sector all over the world, the management sets up the organizations goals and ways of achieving these goals (First Bank of Nigeria Plc). Is not exception
In giving answers to these questions, it is important to determine the following areas:
Identify potential training needs of job existing.
Identify individual performance level.
Identify post training performance with respect to the training and development objectives.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
Following the topic under discussion, the objective includes the following;
1. To determined influence of training and development of human resource on the operation of banks.
2. To help provide an opportunity and broad structure for the development of human resource technical and be behavioural skills in the bank.
3. To find out if staff of the banks see the training and development programme as motivation and means of job enrichment and satisfaction.
4. To determine the number of bank staff trained each year and how it affects their performance at work.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Looking on the topic of this study the aim at covering all the above mentioned objectives. The study the Enugu main branch of Nigerian Plc. The finding made in the research is not only beneficial to bank operation, but also beneficial to other organization in Nigerian in their training and development of human resource, which help improve individual worker performance and that of the entire company
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
The research question formulated by the researcher for the purpose of this study includes the following:
1. How does training and development of human resource help in achieving banks goals?
2. What proportion of the staff is trained annually?
3. Did training and development of human resources have any influence on the level of performance of the banks?
4. What type of training and development of human programmes are available in the banks.
1.6 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
As it is known in the actual sense that at the beginning of very research work is hypothesis. As it help the researcher to design and plan his enquiring, choose his method of data.
Ho: Training and development doe not improve the level of job performance of the staff of the banks
Hi: Training and development does improve the level of job performance of the staff of the banks.
Ho: Training and development opportunities do not motivate workers.
Hi: Training and development opportunities do not motivate workers.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
For training and development of human resource to have effect on bank operation, its objectives, benefits and process must be dearly stated and understood for the benefit of those who are expected to gain from it. The study is expected to be of benefit to the following.
1. Banks in Nigeria: The study will help the management of the bank in Nigeria to improve the quality of the staff with particular reference to first bank plc, main branch Enugu.
2. Bank Customers: An improved banking service will help eliminate waste of time in the bank before attention is given to customers.
3. Nigeria Economy: The research work will help rebuild all battered economy.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Training and development is vital and significant to all organization both private and public sector. But this study is focusing on first bank of Nigeria plc main branch Okpara Avenue Enugu. Other imitations that affect this research work are:
1. TIME: the time given for the research work is so short that most time it clashes with lecture period, so this lead to the inability to get quality result.
2. FINANCE: is very important to every research work, as the information is not found in a particular place, the researcher need to transport him/her self to the place the information can be gotten. And this entails money.
3. QUALITY OF INFORMATION
Analysis of the work depends strongly on the quality of information gotten from the staff.
NOTE: To have an access to Download this material please contact Us On
+234-903-685-7618, Any Time
Or Or Locate us at pam industrial estate Block 4 Makurdi, Benue State
Click here to make a payment Online or get Payment details